Question about old Bible commentaries and footnotes etc.

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Apr 2, 2024
I have a Bible with some titles and headlines in it, and for Isaiah 62 it says "The glory of the new covenant Church"

Yet I start reading it and its talking about Jerusalem. This is just ONE example of many.

You look at many Bible commentators like Matthew Henry and all these guys, they somehow make it about the Church, even when the word isnt mentioned AT ALL in the verses they are talking about.

Can someone explain to me, WHY do these men do it? Surely there must be atleast some biblical precedent for this? What gives? I made this topic as I dont want to call these people nuts before I find out their reasoning and I thought maybe some of you could help, if you share a similar outlook on interpreting the Bible.

ResidentAlien

Apr 21, 2021
I have a Bible with some titles and headlines in it, and for Isaiah 62 it says "The glory of the new covenant Church"

Yet I start reading it and its talking about Jerusalem. This is just ONE example of many.

You look at many Bible commentators like Matthew Henry and all these guys, they somehow make it about the Church, even when the word isnt mentioned AT ALL in the verses they are talking about.

Can someone explain to me, WHY do these men do it? Surely there must be atleast some biblical precedent for this? What gives? I made this topic as I dont want to call these people nuts before I find out their reasoning and I thought maybe some of you could help, if you share a similar outlook on interpreting the Bible.
What Bible is it? All the ones I looked at say Zion's Coming Salvation, Assurance of Zion's Salvation, or some such thing. Is it a Catholic Bible? It sounds like it was influenced by replacement theology.

TheDivineWatermark

Aug 3, 2018

"Covenant Theology denies the distinction between the nation of Israel and the church."

There is your answer as to "why" they do this.

[to be clear, I personally do not hold to "Covenant Theology"]

Apr 2, 2024
"Covenant Theology denies the distinction between the nation of Israel and the church."

There is your answer as to "why" they do this.

[to be clear, I personally do not hold to "Covenant Theology"]
Okay, I get it. But do you know WHY they just seem to change the whole reading of the passage? WHY do it?

DRobinson

Aug 23, 2023
Commentaries are just opinions and most are wrong.
I avoid them when I want to know the truth.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
Can someone explain to me, WHY do these men do it? Surely there must be atleast some biblical precedent for this? What gives?
There is no biblical precedent for replacing Israel with the Church. But what happened long ago is that Augustine and others decided to make Israel irrelevant and replace it with the Church.

The Catholic Church adopted this false idea, and when the Reformers came out of that church, they failed to reject it and interpret Scripture properly. These commentators all adopted the same idea because they were following the Reformers. They also went along with Calvinistic teaching.

So you will simply have to ignore this, and take the Bible for what it says. Those OT prophecies are about a future redeemed and restored Israel and Jerusalem.