Depression

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Jan 1, 2024
It was a long time ago but I have been there too. My wife also has been there for a few months after having our children. So, I am convinced that depression has a chemical / hormonal component.

My experience with it convinces me that there is also a spiritual component.

And knowing others who have had times of depression convinces me that difficult or traumatic experiences also can play a role - although I do wonder if there is an element of spiritual attack in that too.

I'm no expert, just an old guy with lots of life experience. My advice is to start with the spiritual because it's free and easy. But for some reason, even 99% or Christians seem to reject it:

1. Have a scheduled time every day to just spend in quiet talking and being in the presence of God. Make this sacred time. The most important scheduled time of your day. Never miss it. And include the quiet part. Don't talk and run. Tell God everything. He already knows anyway. And then just sit still and quiet in God's presence. If you are experiencing a spiritual attack, this will be unfulfilling and God will feel far away at first. Don't quit! It won't take long to know that God is close and listening.

2. Read your Bible every day. I have no idea why this is so powerful in keeping God close and Satan away but it does. When I'm reading every day I am different and it's so much easier to avoid sin than when other things get in the way and I miss a few days.

And last. If this enduring sadness turns into considering hurting yourself. Talk to someone immediately, as soon as you have that first thought. Whether that thought is from brain chemistry, trauma,or Satan I don't know. But make your plan now who you will tell and what you will say and start that conversation with them now so you already have a channel of communication open in case you need it.

May 3, 2024
God is kind. He created this world perfectly. But it has been tainted by sin. Things like depression and hard times exist because this world is far from perfect and the enemy wants to use these things to pull us away from God by filling our minds with thoughts like "why does God let these things happen?" and question our faith. But we need to resist these negative thoughts and stay close to God no matter what we must endure in this temporary life.

Apr 10, 2024
Yes, I agree. We live in a broken world. God did not intent for depression and sadness to be in our lives. He would like for us to live life abundantly and filled with joy.

Bingo

Feb 9, 2019
It was a long time ago but I have been there too. My wife also has been there for a few months after having our children. So, I am convinced that depression has a chemical / hormonal component.

My experience with it convinces me that there is also a spiritual component.

And knowing others who have had times of depression convinces me that difficult or traumatic experiences also can play a role - although I do wonder if there is an element of spiritual attack in that too.

I'm no expert, just an old guy with lots of life experience. My advice is to start with the spiritual because it's free and easy. But for some reason, even 99% or Christians seem to reject it:

1. Have a scheduled time every day to just spend in quiet talking and being in the presence of God. Make this sacred time. The most important scheduled time of your day. Never miss it. And include the quiet part. Don't talk and run. Tell God everything. He already knows anyway. And then just sit still and quiet in God's presence. If you are experiencing a spiritual attack, this will be unfulfilling and God will feel far away at first. Don't quit! It won't take long to know that God is close and listening.

2. Read your Bible every day. I have no idea why this is so powerful in keeping God close and Satan away but it does. When I'm reading every day I am different and it's so much easier to avoid sin than when other things get in the way and I miss a few days.

And last. If this enduring sadness turns into considering hurting yourself. Talk to someone immediately, as soon as you have that first thought. Whether that thought is from brain chemistry, trauma,or Satan I don't know. But make your plan now who you will tell and what you will say and start that conversation with them now so you already have a channel of communication open in case you need it.
"Thank you for sharing. Seldom and rarely do I comment on a post. Occasionally glancing through pages
something catches my attention. Your quote...(
"My advice is to start with the spiritual because it's free and easy.")
And quite obvious, many reject the spiritual aspect.
'I have learned through my spiritual journey, the importance of this necessity. I know of it to be a
great challenge to strive for spiritual discipline in my life, and it requires daily perseverance. And a quiet time
in contemplation of God's love and wisdom...in time has great reward."
Again, thank you for having an understanding of starting with a spiritual awareness."...….:)

321368055_831360431274131_7805773132942909189_n.jpg