Let's play Bible Trivia!

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

cv5

Nov 20, 2018
What is the significance of the name Joshua gave to the encampment that the children of Israel first abode in after crossing the Jordan?

Lafftur

Apr 18, 2017
Lol I knew I would get that wrong. I read that parable maybe 3 days ago and only vaguely remember it. Definitely didn't remember what it was about.
Actually you are correct! There would be no groom without the EXTRA oil that made the virgins ready.

Lafftur

Apr 18, 2017
What is the significance of the name Joshua gave to the encampment that the children of Israel first abode in after crossing the Jordan?
Each tribe had to place a stone from the Jordan River…

cv5

Nov 20, 2018
Yes. An extremely potent and important ritual event engineered by YHVH for our edification and to make us believe.
The crossing event is a critical study. Massively important on many levels.

But my question is related to.....God commanding Joshua to name that camp specifically in terms of a symbolic remembrance to what God had done for them.

cv5

Nov 20, 2018
Here it is...

Gilgal = "rolled back".
The reproach of Egypt was that the Egyptians told the children of Israel that God would kill them all in the wilderness.
Which of course did not happen. In fact God preserved them with loving care in the wilderness.

Jos 5:9
And the LORD said unto Joshua, This day have I rolled away the reproach of Egypt from off you. Wherefore the name of the place is called Gilgal unto this day.

Lafftur

Apr 18, 2017
Sounds like deliverance from the bondage of sin holding a believer back from receiving God’s Promises….

Interesting study! Make it a thread and let’s go deeper in understanding! Call it:

“The Meaning of Gilgal…”. :love:(y)

I’ll jump on that thread! It will be great!

cv5

Nov 20, 2018
Sounds like deliverance from the bondage of sin holding a believer back from receiving God’s Promises….

Interesting study! Make it a thread and let’s go deeper in understanding! Call it:

“The Meaning of Gilgal…”. :love:(y)

I’ll jump on that thread! It will be great!
Amen to that. Joshua and Caleb are two of my favorite Bible heroes.

BTW....it is very possible that Caleb's name means "son of a Gentile dog".....;)
His father may have been a proselyte. Maybe.

Moses_Young

Sep 15, 2019
Here it is...

Gilgal = "rolled back".
The reproach of Egypt was that the Egyptians told the children of Israel that God would kill them all in the wilderness.
Which of course did not happen. In fact God preserved them with loving care in the wilderness.

Jos 5:9
And the LORD said unto Joshua, This day have I rolled away the reproach of Egypt from off you. Wherefore the name of the place is called Gilgal unto this day.
I thought the first encampment was Gibeath Haaraloth? Gilgal is only mentioned later, in verse 9. I also thought that the reproach of Egypt was that the Israelites were uncircumcised until that point, until the offense was literally and metaphorically "rolled back" via circumcision. What you said does make sense, though.

Joshua 5:1 - 3
Now when all the Amorite kings west of the Jordan and all the Canaanite kings along the coast heard how the Lord had dried up the Jordan before the Israelites until they had crossed over, their hearts melted in fear and they no longer had the courage to face the Israelites.
At that time the Lord said to Joshua, “Make flint knives and circumcise the Israelites again.” So Joshua made flint knives and circumcised the Israelites at Gibeath Haaraloth.

shittim

Dec 16, 2016
Adults only-

(ouch, "again?!?" Don't you think they are gonna run out of material if He keeps asking them to repeat this?):oops: