Urgent: Mom Might Not Make It 🥺

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

2ndTimeIsTheCharm

Feb 17, 2023
I have the number of the ward, but the admin or person taking my calls is the go between and I have not been able to get a call back from a physician. I asked for email or some other way to get in touch and was told she'd leave the weekend doctor a paper note. He made his rounds 3 hours before the time I was told.

So far, the first communication has been to be here when he made his rounds yesterday.
The insistance on fluids is the key factor for saving her life right now. I am going to try to get some sleep now so I can think clearly when I go to see the dietician today. My brother's wife and kids are left out of the picture and he is working today. I'm taking this a day at a time. I have 3 meetings today with different hospital staff.

Thank you for taking such interest in helping and praying. ❤️

Yeah, I have a Mom too in her old age. I always pray that God keeps her alive. She drive me crazy sometimes, but I love her, lol!

Also because your Mom's case in the hospital is a bit alarming. I'm really praying for her because I don't want anything else to happen that can make her worse. I just want her to be made miraculously well despite the fact that the hospital is trying to draw out her stay.

I've never really seen anything like this to be honest. So far, all the hospitals I've ever been in were in my experience good, admitting people only when they really needed to be. The VA medical system is pretty good about this. I also think big city hospitals have to operate this way as well since they are so busy.

But this hospital is in West Virginia near WVU? Maybe it's not too busy that they want to try to skim health insurance off patients to make money? *Shrug* Either way, I'm sure your Mom doesn't want to be there and just wants to go home. I know I would. Will keep praying for her to become healthy no matter what they do and that the Lord protects her from all unnecessary procedures. Please keep us all informed!

🍓

HealthAndHappiness

Jul 7, 2022
Almost Heaven West Virginia
I really appreciate that.
It's something I talked to an old surgeon this morning. I asked for a large diameter PEG Tube to replace the one that came out when Mom fell out of bed. You read that right. My Mother fell out of bed when I was just ready to go to bed at home. I got a text from my brother. He didn't have any details, so I called the desk near her room. They hung up and took it off the hook while it was ringing.
Talk about upsetting.
When I got back to the hospital, they were doing a CT scan and X-rays.

The story was that they think the heavy boots they put on pulled her the rest of the way off the bed. In spite of that, they put the same boots back on. I took them off.
The first thing that came to mind is a foam fall pad on both sides.

2ndTimeIsTheCharm

Feb 17, 2023
I really appreciate that.
It's something I talked to an old surgeon this morning. I asked for a large diameter PEG Tube to replace the one that came out when Mom fell out of bed. You read that right. My Mother fell out of bed when I was just ready to go to bed at home. I got a text from my brother. He didn't have any details, so I called the desk near her room. They hung up and took it off the hook while it was ringing.
Talk about upsetting.
When I got back to the hospital, they were doing a CT scan and X-rays.

The story was that they think the heavy boots they put on pulled her the rest of the way off the bed. In spite of that, they put the same boots back on. I took them off.
The first thing that came to mind is a foam fall pad on both sides.

Oh gosh, that scares me so much!

All hospital beds are suppose to have adjustable side rails you can raise up as needed to protect patients from falling out. Didn't hers have them????

Also where the heck was her nurse??? She's suppose to check in with her assigned patients every 10 to 15 minutes. Nurses nowadays have their own portable computers you can set up at the doorway of patients who need to be watched for such things like this. Surely she would have noticed if the heavy boots were about to fall off the bed?

This is happening too often already and have not learned to be more careful from their previous carelessness. Here are a few links about patient rights and how to file a complaint. This is just TOO MUCH and is UNACCEPTABLE! Please read this articles. They may help you to do something about this.

First read this: Your Rights as a Hospital Patient

And these articles well help you with more info:

1. Do Patients Have the Right to Refuse Medical Treatment?

2. How can I complain about poor medical care I received in a hospital?

3. How to File a Complaint About Your Healthcare Provider

4. Having problems with your hospital care? Speak up!

Please read these articles so that you're empowered by knowing your Mom's patient rights and to also know what you can do to stop the neglect. I will continue to pray for your Mom.

🍓

HealthAndHappiness

Jul 7, 2022
Yeah, I have a Mom too in her old age. I always pray that God keeps her alive. She drive me crazy sometimes, but I love her, lol!

Also because your Mom's case in the hospital is a bit alarming. I'm really praying for her because I don't want anything else to happen that can make her worse. I just want her to be made miraculously well despite the fact that the hospital is trying to draw out her stay.

I've never really seen anything like this to be honest. So far, all the hospitals I've ever been in were in my experience good, admitting people only when they really needed to be.
But this hospital is in West Virginia near WVU? Maybe it's not too busy that they want to try to skim health insurance off patients to make money? *Shrug* Either way, I'm sure your Mom doesn't want to be there and just wants to go home. I know I would. Will keep praying for her to become healthy no matter what they do and that the Lord protects her from all unnecessary procedures. Please keep us all informed!

🍓
I will read those links tomorrow. Thank you for that practical information on how to protect our family members.

Like my Mom's surgeon today.
She fell out of the hospital bed last night.
She hit her head and likely got a concussion.
The stomach tube pulled out and she might have been without O2 a long time.

I met her surgeon and she and I recognized him as being one of Mom's favorites back when I was a boy. That surgeon might have been late 70s, or early 80s.

I asked the surgeon if he could replace the tiny IV sized tube with the largest diameter possible so I could provide high quality prepared food by puree/ blender that would help recovery.
He gave a couple reasons why this could be a problem and she would need to be put under for another surgery at a future date. Until then she would be on the low quality meal replacement formula, which would limit her healing. I was a little disappointed, but prayed for the larger diameter tube anyway.
He showed up later today and just numbed the area, but sedation was not necessary.
He was going to a #16 and decided to try a bigger #20 . After the surgery I was so very grateful.

He pointed up and said, "Thank the Lord . "

YES! Praises to our Dear Father!

HealthAndHappiness

Jul 7, 2022
Prayer Requests for the weekend:

1. Dietician and doctor will respond favorably to meeting my request for my choices for proper nutrition. That which is provided is inflammatory ingredients and grossly inadequate for recovery. The main ingredient is sugar.

2. She still has head pain where she fell out of bed and had a concussion. The Dr said we can't prove a concussion because there's no blood on the brain seen. I know she had a serious concussion from her symptoms.
They were supposed to have soft mats on the sides of the bed. That was Monday and this is Friday. I've been trying to get the Dr and charge nurse to do something. Will be leaving another message shortly.

HealthAndHappiness

Jul 7, 2022
[QUOTE="D3vot3d, post: 5295474, member: 330083"
[/QUOTE]
Ahh man, that's a blessing!

The night before yesterday, I was thinking that Mom needs sunshine really bad. She hasn't been outside since her first injury that prompted her friend to take her to the hospital. The very next day, yesterday, the nurse approached me and said they were going to take Mom outside today! She brought that up to me BEFORE I even mentioned it.
Talk about the kindness of the Lord!

That reminds me of this week's memory verse from Isaiah 65:24...

24And it shall come to pass, that before they call, I will answer; and while they are yet speaking, I will hear.

Praises to You Lord!
Thank You so much! 😢

FredVB

Feb 26, 2022
Sunshine will really help. Vitamin supplements will help too. And the Forks Over Knives way, which can be found online, with a helpful book and the documentary, would be very helpful if followed. May God show blessing with real improvement.

Jul 7, 2022
Sunshine will really help. Vitamin supplements will help too. And the Forks Over Knives way, which can be found online, with a helpful book and the documentary, would be very helpful if followed. May God show blessing with real improvement.
Thanks! We took her outside and I shared how the Chinese hospitals take their patients outside daily. Sunshine does have remarkably positive effects. I've seen that help others. She finally was allowed outside late morning a few days ago.

Now she is tied down because the respiratory therapist dropped her oxygen tank and knocked the trach tube loose. Mom was blamed for pulling on it and still tied after days. I protested to every authority.
Every time I go there, I untie her .

TabinRivCA

Oct 23, 2018
Thanks! We took her outside and I shared how the Chinese hospitals take their patients outside daily. Sunshine does have remarkably positive effects. I've seen that help others. She finally was allowed outside late morning a few days ago.

Now she is tied down because the respiratory therapist dropped her oxygen tank and knocked the trach tube loose. Mom was blamed for pulling on it and still tied after days. I protested to every authority.
Every time I go there, I untie her .
I'm sure you have prayed & believed over her '. Mark 16:18 says, "They shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover'. Godspeed her recovery. Yikes, being tied down?!

Jul 7, 2022
I'm sure you have prayed & believed over her '. Mark 16:18 says, "They shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover'. Godspeed her recovery. Yikes, being tied down?!
Thank you for the reminder of God's promise.
There are many that we should share with and apply for loved ones. Our lives are in His hands.

Yesterday she was talking a lot.
She had the strength to finally cough hard .
The trach tube was capped closed and she was off of all oxygen, but breathing fine.
Then I learned through another text message from my brother that she wasn't doing very well today. He told me yesterday that he was spending the night. I told him that makes me relax because we know that nurse Samantha gave us reason to not trust her and Mom is scared of her.

I had no idea how badly Mom was until I got there. My brother changed his mind without telling me and went home, returning in the morning. No calls, just a text again.

Went I went to see her,
She was on her back transfixed, staring at the ceiling. She could barely talk loud or clear enough to understand with my ear to her mouth. Her lips were bright red.
The nurse on duty at that point said she should not have been given a popsicle by the night nurse. She had no idea how much, whether a small piece or the entire thing.
She found her with a oxygen saturation of 70% !!! How long she was that low, God only knows.

Jul 7, 2022
Mom said she wants to go outside.
I want to be there when she does again and will make a point to request someone strong enough to handle the equipment and will take video of staff and Mom immediately if that happens again. That's the tank and improper handling of the hose that the staff pulled on her trach with.

Jul 7, 2022
All who pray for my mother are dear to my heart. I appreciate your kind concern that it's almost overwhelming. Sometimes I avoid this thread for a short time, just to try to stay positive. It's not anyone else. It's just me focussing on a very stressful situation. That's why I try to interject some humor hear and there in other more appropriate threads some evenings. It helps me sleep rather than focus on the "what ifs".

Yesterday was a very good day for Mom .
She was in a good clear state of mind and could breath freely the air in her room!

I just got off the phone with a nurse that told me she was delerious through the night, shouting and upset. She was in front of the nurses station most of that time according to her. The new shift in the morning, nurse said her O2 was only 70%!!! How could a hallway of nurses all night long mis that?
How come I wasn't called?
Why was she not known to have aspirated a popsicle until this morning, but was kept from my brother and me until we went in for our time with her?
Lots of questions need answered and they will likely try to blame Mom for the challenges like has been the trend.
I don't want to make enemies, but there needs to be better qualified medical staff that won't sit around all night while their patient slowly drowns from wrong food items and neglect.
I need wisdom and the right frame of mind when confronting the top staff members tomorrow.
I require a proper and complete incident report with names of those responsible.

Please pray specifically for the quick recovery from the setback...
That her doctor will quit throwing drugs at her and provide enough water STAT.
20 ounces in a 24 hour period is unacceptable.