Dogs Returning To Their Vomit

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Mem

Sep 23, 2014
20For if, after they have escaped the defilements of the world by the knowledge of the Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, they are again entangled in them and are overcome, the last state has become worse for them than the first. 21For it would be better for them not to have known the way of righteousness, than having known it, to turn away from the holy commandment handed on to them. 22[p]It has happened to them according to the true proverb, “A DOG RETURNS TO ITS OWN VOMIT,” and, “A sow, after washing, returns to wallowing in the mire.”

Again entangled specifies they were once untangled, & that can only come by true salvation.
to return from anything means they left that previous state of sin to salvation.
if...and... they are overcome. Isn't this meant in admonishment to not be overcome by that which you are shown you have become entangled in. Nothing says anyone being address had gotten to that point. Only an "if" proposition has been presented, there's a technical word I'm wanting for that sort of thing that is currently escaping me... but I will securely tangle it eventually.

HeIsHere

May 21, 2022
Abiding in God is not the act of spiritual salvation, it is the connection, the fellowship restored and brings benefits, here on earth, in the temporal world.

It is Christ's obedience, His abiding, His perfection which is accepted and gifted to the believer.

It is Christs righteousness imputed to us by faith/belief (not a choice) therefore there is no ability to un-choose.
You are only the defendant not the Judge!

God has found a way in His plan of salvation to make it air tight so we never become Adam again.
Someone else paid the debt we accept the gift of being proclaimed innocent of all charges.

This is the Gospel.
You make salvation a test of endurance thereby robbing Jesus of His glory as Saviour, I am sorry to say this but it is true.

Cameron143

Mar 1, 2022
We know lots of people of whom we gained experiencial knowledge about, yet people every day divorce them for various reason or refuse to be in contact with them because they no longer like them.
Are you suggesting God is like man, incapable of keeping a covenant?

Cameron143

Mar 1, 2022
You don't. I can dislike anyone whenever I want. I can turn away from someone I was personally close to who I think has betrayed me.
Broken relationships happen all the time, even when it's not their fault.
God is like man? He breaks covenant?

Edify

Jan 27, 2021
Nothing says anyone being address had gotten to that point.
No, but the point is they are being warned it CAN happen.
This is why we have all these warnings... because it can happen.
And if they have done it, the last state will be worse than the first.
How else can anybody get into a state worse than the lost state before christ?

Edify

Jan 27, 2021
I am done here. I've done all I can do.
If anyone needs prayer or anything, send me a message. I'll be happy to help.:)

Cameron143

Mar 1, 2022
How does one pluck themselves out of the Father's or Jesus' hand? How do we separate ourselves from the love of God in Christ Jesus when God says nothing can do so?

SteveEpperson

May 12, 2018
What does it mean to believe in Him? Where do you find out what believing in Him means? Can you find it in that verse?
Atheists and non-believers always want "context" for every verse. However, the true believer knows that the Bible is the true word of God.

Therefore, we hang on to every word in the Bible.

Jesus said I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. John 14:6

The Atheist looks at this verse and demands more context to prove it is true. The true believer already knows it's true and will quote it to other believers as both a gift and a reminder of who Jesus is.

This may sound harsh, but the Bible was not written to prove God's existence. Nor was it written for Atheists and non-believers.

If you are struggling with the need for "context" for every verse, I would urge you, my friend, to examine your heart and ask why it is so. Everyone—including the most prominent pastors, elders, and teachers—has, at one time or another, struggled with unbelief concerning the Bible. Maybe you are going through that right now, to some degree. :)

Everlasting-Grace

Dec 18, 2021
I can choose to never walk with God again. Does that mean I never ever had a relationship with Him at all?

It depends, DO you stop also believing that you need saved, your guilty and only through his death can you be saved?
People break off relationships with their spouses all the time. They grow apart, no longer compatible. One can still be loving while the other doesn't feel anything. Divorce happens over 50% both in & out of the church. God may never desire to divorce us, but that doesn't mean we can't divorce Him. We still have choice to do as we please!
Did not Satan himself, a heavenly being, intimately related to his Maker, become an adversary to God? He chose when we thought he couldn't.
BUT HE DID.
So your comparing God with a human?

That's your first problem.

Everlasting-Grace

Dec 18, 2021
Some people seem to have more faith in self-preservation than they do in God's preservation. Psalm 37:28 - For the Lord loves justice and does not forsake His saints; They are preserved forever, But the descendants of the wicked shall be cut off.
Its because in the end,their faith is in self. They may claim to have faith in God. but they are decieved

Everlasting-Grace

Dec 18, 2021
Falling away specifically means there WAS a previous relationship.
Sinners CANNOT fall away because they were already far from God.
You can walk right up to a bridge, and fall away from crossing that bridge,

Just because you walked up to it, and even maybe partway crossed it. does not mean you arrived at the end.

Everlasting-Grace

Dec 18, 2021
You don't. I can dislike anyone whenever I want. I can turn away from someone I was personally close to who I think has betrayed me.
Broken relationships happen all the time, even when it's not their fault.
You failed to answer my question, Its ok, I know why.. you can't

Everlasting-Grace

Dec 18, 2021
Happens all the time. Some people think they're close to God, yet follow false doctrine that's Christianese. They were fooled along the way.
Remember Paul speaking to the Galatians about "who has bewitched you?"
Yep

they never came to saving faith.. because they could not break away from what their true faith was in, the law..

The law was their vomit, because they did not understand it, and used it in a way it was never intended for them to use.

Everlasting-Grace

Dec 18, 2021
True, but they didn't believe that in the beginning, for they were actually saved.
No they did not

if they were they never would have went back to the law. Their true faith. Their faith was in belief plus the law..

Everlasting-Grace

Dec 18, 2021
20For if, after they have escaped the defilements of the world by the knowledge of the Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, they are again entangled in them and are overcome, the last state has become worse for them than the first. 21For it would be better for them not to have known the way of righteousness, than having known it, to turn away from the holy commandment handed on to them. 22[p]It has happened to them according to the true proverb, “A DOG RETURNS TO ITS OWN VOMIT,” and, “A sow, after washing, returns to wallowing in the mire.”

Again entangled specifies they were once untangled, & that can only come by true salvation.
to return from anything means they left that previous state of sin to salvation.
This happens ANYTIME someone enters a body of believers and starts on their journey to trusting God.

If they fall away before they come to true saving faith. they get tangled again in what strangled them in the first place. In the case of the jew, it was the law

You can teach a dog a new trick, But a dog will always go back to his nature.. Thats why I dog returns to his vomit, It is who he is.

timemeddler

Jul 13, 2023
Atheists and non-believers always want "context" for every verse. However, the true believer knows that the Bible is the true word of God.
???????? The few encounters I've had on here with people unwilling to consider "context" also went around the board touting their sinless perfection.:rolleyes:

SteveEpperson

May 12, 2018
The few encounters I've had on here with people unwilling to consider "context" also went around the board touting their sinless perfection.
First, I never said I was unwilling to consider context. However, I'm unwilling to use it as an excuse to disbelieve God's written word.

Second, when have I ever said I was sinless?

timemeddler

Jul 13, 2023
First, I never said I was unwilling to consider context. However, I'm unwilling to use it as an excuse to disbelieve God's written word.

Second, when have I ever said I was sinless?
You didn't, but there have been some people here that have, and took it to extremes.