Is it o.k. to study other religions?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Gojira

Jul 20, 2021
Mesa, AZ
I talked to a devout Christian in a hospital about the bible and religion and I brought up the topic I take an interest in studying other religions and he seemed to take it that I was not 100% Christian. My thought on the matter if you are devout there is no worry of another religion 'stealing you away'. Any thoughts on the matter would be greatly appreciated.
I think it depends on the Christian, his/her walk, and what God has called them to. I will not, personally do that, at least not to any large degree, in part because it may start to mess with my mind. Does that make me close-minded? Perhaps it does. But, I believe in the Truth, and don't want that messed with.

seekingthemindofChrist

Casting down imaginations
Jul 10, 2023
I am currently using for this forum the KJV as many here use this version, I think the old English is a bit difficult for me being born in the province of Quebec, my mother tongue is french language, I find the wording or vocabulary of the KJV is sometimes ancient and the meaning or usage of certain words was sometimes different than today.
Hi, TKCS.

If you have some free time, then I think that this video would provide tremendous insight and help to you where understanding the KJV of the Bible is concerned:

GRACE_ambassador

Feb 22, 2021
Midwest
I am currently using for this forum the KJV as many here use this version, I think the old English is a bit difficult for me being born in the province of Quebec, my mother tongue is french language, I find the wording or vocabulary of the KJV is sometimes ancient and the meaning or usage of certain words was sometimes different than today.
This place says they are working on an 'update' but may be a while:

https://www.kjvupdate.com/

Be Blessed.

HealthAndHappiness

Jul 7, 2022
Almost Heaven West Virginia
Hi Angela, I have a basic question about bibles. I am currently using for this forum the KJV as many here use this version, I think the old English is a bit difficult for me being born in the province of Quebec, my mother tongue is french language, I find the wording or vocabulary of the KJV is sometimes ancient and the meaning or usage of certain words was sometimes different than today. Could you recommend a version that is more modern but reflects well the original texts? this would help me greatly.

I liked your post, i have had a similar path. I agree with what you said about theosophy, it is demonic and dangerous, it corrupts the mind.

Peace be upon you.

ResidentAlien

Apr 21, 2021
Hi Angela, I have a basic question about bibles. I am currently using for this forum the KJV as many here use this version, I think the old English is a bit difficult for me being born in the province of Quebec, my mother tongue is french language, I find the wording or vocabulary of the KJV is sometimes ancient and the meaning or usage of certain words was sometimes different than today. Could you recommend a version that is more modern but reflects well the original texts? this would help me greatly.

I liked your post, i have had a similar path. I agree with what you said about theosophy, it is demonic and dangerous, it corrupts the mind.

Peace be upon you.
Hard to go wrong with the New King James Version. It uses the same Greek text (Textus Receptus) as the KJV but has more modern language. You'll get pushback from KJV onlyists no matter what Bible you use unless it's the KJV—even if it uses the Textus Receptus for its underlying text.

ThyKingdomComeSoon

Apr 1, 2023
Hard to go wrong with the New King James Version. It uses the same Greek text (Textus Receptus) as the KJV but has more modern language. You'll get pushback from KJV onlyists no matter what Bible you use unless it's the KJV—even if it uses the Textus Receptus for its underlying text.
Thank you RA it is a good suggestion!

Blessings.

Karlon

Mar 8, 2023
I talked to a devout Christian in a hospital about the bible and religion and I brought up the topic I take an interest in studying other religions and he seemed to take it that I was not 100% Christian. My thought on the matter if you are devout there is no worry of another religion 'stealing you away'. Any thoughts on the matter would be greatly appreciated.
studying other religions is not a sin. professors, pastors & teachers do it for comparison to teach what is wrong & for learning platforms. all religions that exist except Christianity are nonsense. someone may have an interest in reading about them, but if your Christian, NEVER FOLLOW THEM!!! i have read a few pamphlets on other religions but that's it.

seekingthemindofChrist

Jul 10, 2023
Thank you, I will have a look.

Blessings.
The pastor opens with a bit of a boring story, so you might need to initially push your way past that. When the actual teaching starts, then there are some good things contained therein.

For example, she talks about the KJV's built-in dictionary which helps one to better understand words which we might not normally be familiar with.

Like "scrip":

Mark 6:8

"And commanded them that they should take nothing for their journey, save a staff only; no scrip, no bread, no money in their purse:"

What the heck is a "scrip"?

Well, early on in the Bible, it defines that word for us.

1 Samuel 17:40

"And he took his staff in his hand, and chose him five smooth stones out of the brook, and put them in a shepherd's bag which he had, even in a scrip; and his sling was in his hand: and he drew near to the Philistine."

Things like that.

Anyway, I honestly believe that my own vocabulary increased immensely from reading the KJV.

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
Could you recommend a version that is more modern but reflects well the original texts? this would help me greatly.
I like the Berean Study Bible .:). gotquestions says this of it:

The Berean Study Bible seeks to connect readers with the Greek and Hebrew root words and meanings
in an easy-to-read format. The study Bible merges two previous translations, the Berean Literal Bible
and the Berean Interlinear Bible. The Berean Study Bible was created to offer an accurate translation
of the Greek and Hebrew texts in a reader-friendly format. The Berean Study Bible includes all the links
to Greek and Hebrew words that are part of the Berean Literal Bible. It also makes generous use of section
headings and paragraph formatting to help ensure a smooth reading experience.

According to the Berean Study Bible website, Berean Bibles consist of four components or “translation tiers”:

1. An interlinear Bible to directly follow the Greek and Hebrew texts.
2. A literal translation to take the reader to the core of the Greek and Hebrew meanings.
3. A modern English translation, effective for public reading, memorization, and evangelism.
4. An annotated translation to bring out the full meaning and intensity of the original texts.

When I look up verses, I use Biblehub because it has that translation included among many others...

ResidentAlien

Apr 21, 2021
Gail Riplinger is not credible. I'd approach anything she says with caution.

seekingthemindofChrist

Jul 10, 2023
Gail Riplinger is not credible. I'd approach anything she says with caution.
Some here would say the same thing about you. I am not railing against you, but merely saying that we should not judge someone without first hearing what they have to say.

John 7:50-51

"Nicodemus saith unto them, (he that came to Jesus by night, being one of them) Doth our law judge any man, before it hear him, and know what he doeth?"

Anyhow, we should approach everything that people say with caution. You know, prove all things, and hold fast that which is good.

ThyKingdomComeSoon

Apr 1, 2023
I like the Berean Study Bible .:). gotquestions says this of it:

The Berean Study Bible seeks to connect readers with the Greek and Hebrew root words and meanings
in an easy-to-read format. The study Bible merges two previous translations, the Berean Literal Bible
and the Berean Interlinear Bible. The Berean Study Bible was created to offer an accurate translation
of the Greek and Hebrew texts in a reader-friendly format. The Berean Study Bible includes all the links
to Greek and Hebrew words that are part of the Berean Literal Bible. It also makes generous use of section
headings and paragraph formatting to help ensure a smooth reading experience.

According to the Berean Study Bible website, Berean Bibles consist of four components or “translation tiers”:

1. An interlinear Bible to directly follow the Greek and Hebrew texts.
2. A literal translation to take the reader to the core of the Greek and Hebrew meanings.
3. A modern English translation, effective for public reading, memorization, and evangelism.
4. An annotated translation to bring out the full meaning and intensity of the original texts.

When I look up verses, I use Biblehub because it has that translation included among many others...
Thank you Magenta very interesting I will definitely have a look! it is part of my bible software e-sword x, just downloaded the Berean study bible. I have similar features in this software I can compare different versions too on it but Biblehub is more complete having so many tools for studying

Best regards,

ResidentAlien

Apr 21, 2021
I am not railing against you, but merely saying that we should not judge someone without first hearing what they have to say.
I've heard a lot of what Riplinger has to say, read her book New Age Bible Versions, watched and read critiques of what she teaches. She's dishonest to say the least. People who aren't aware of her cheap tricks might be taken in by her. I'm not telling anyone to not watch your video, only saying there's more than one side to it.

seekingthemindofChrist

Jul 10, 2023
I've heard a lot of what Riplinger has to say, read her book New Age Bible Versions, watched and read critiques of what she teaches. She's dishonest to say the least. People who aren't aware of her cheap tricks might be taken in by her. I'm not telling anyone to not watch your video, only saying there's more than one side to it.
I have also read her book, seen several of her videos, and I used to buy Bibles from her wholesale that I gave to people I witnessed to. I also used to contribute financially to her ministry. That said, I do not agree with everything that she says either, but she does present a lot of truth. Personally, I would not say that she is dishonest. Do I believe that she is mistaken about some things? Yes, I do, but, again, she does present a lot of truth.

Anyhow, TKCS is a grown man, and he can make his own assessments of her teachings with the aid of the Holy Spirit.

seekingthemindofChrist

Jul 10, 2023
By the way, it is kind of ironic that we are having this conversation on a thread about studying other religions.

Why?

Because there are so many pitfalls to avoid when studying our own religion.

I am no fan of Satan, but he has done a good job of muddying the waters.