What is regeneration?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Aaron56

Jul 12, 2021
We're made alive together with Christ, then once we're alive we become distinct eternal individuals?
As distinct as parts of a body:

But in fact, God has arranged the members of the body, every one of them, according to His design. If they were all one part, where would the body be? As it is, there are many parts, but one body.

The eye cannot say to the hand, “I do not need you.” Nor can the head say to the feet, “I do not need you.” On the contrary, the parts of the body that seem to be weaker are indispensable, and the parts we consider less honorable, we treat with greater honor. And our unpresentable parts are treated with special modesty, whereas our presentable parts have no such need.

But God has composed the body and has given greater honor to the parts that lacked it, so that there should be no division in the body, but that its members should have mutual concern for one another. If one part suffers, every part suffers with it; if one part is honored, every part rejoices with it.

Pemican

Sep 27, 2014
We're made alive together with Christ, then once we're alive we become distinct eternal individuals?
Not sure I understand where you are going with this.
God created us with individual souls. Each is responsible for his own choices. This continues into eternity. Lets not make this more complicated than it has to be.

ResidentAlien

Apr 21, 2021
Not sure I understand where you are going with this.
God created us with individual souls. Each is responsible for his own choices. This continues into eternity. Lets not make this more complicated than it has to be.
We were dead in trespasses and sins, but were made alive together with Christ. You said after we're regenerated we are "eternal and distinct individuals forever." I'm having trouble reconciling the fact that we were regenerated together with Christ with the idea that we become distinct eternal individuals. Is there some point at which we separate from Christ?

Cameron143

Mar 1, 2022
Regeneration is a word found only twice in the New Testament: Matthew 19:28, where it's not talking about personal regeneration; and Titus 3:5.

" . . . not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to His mercy He saved us, through the washing of regeneration and renewing of the Holy Spirit," Titus 3:5​

Okay, this sounds suspiciously like baptism. I'm reminded of 1 Peter 3:21: "There is also an antitype which now saves us—baptism (not the removal of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good conscience toward God), through the resurrection of Jesus Christ,"

I know already people are going to turn this into a does baptism save debate; but my question is: What exactly is regeneration? What happens to us when we're regenerated. Please prove scripture if possible.
Regeneration is restoration. What is restored is the spiritual nature of man that died when Adam and Eve sinned. This requires a rebirth as in Matthew 3.
The washing of regeneration is the water spoken of in Matthew 3 and is the gospel or the word of God. The renewing of the Holy Spirit is the Spirit spoken of.
If you struggle with the water being the word of God, Jesus Himself said his disciples were cleansed by the word and Peter makes reference to being born again by the word of God.

ForestGreenCook

Jul 8, 2018
Regeneration is a word found only twice in the New Testament: Matthew 19:28, where it's not talking about personal regeneration; and Titus 3:5.

" . . . not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to His mercy He saved us, through the washing of regeneration and renewing of the Holy Spirit," Titus 3:5​

Okay, this sounds suspiciously like baptism. I'm reminded of 1 Peter 3:21: "There is also an antitype which now saves us—baptism (not the removal of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good conscience toward God), through the resurrection of Jesus Christ,"

I know already people are going to turn this into a does baptism save debate; but my question is: What exactly is regeneration? What happens to us when we're regenerated. Please prove scripture if possible.

According to Strong's concordance, regeneration means "rebirth".