Flirting is Not a Sin, If You Do It Right

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

SteveEpperson

May 12, 2018
Have you ever sat in a restaurant and noticed a little kid staring at you from their mom and dad's table in the distance? Sometimes, they'll smile at you or play peek-a-boo by hiding their face and suddenly look back to see if you notice them. Simply put, they're flirting with you. They're not being rude, intrusive, or even naughty. They are showing that they are curious about you, and if given the chance, they would be glad to add you to their "play-date" list.

What is flirting, exactly?

It's really just a way for men and women to be playful, imaginative, and fun in a nonthreatening way. It's a way to get to know someone to whom you've never been introduced, and most importantly, it opens the door for a first date.

Sexual and non-sexual flirting

We often think of flirting as merely a way for a guy to get to home-plate with a woman for the first time. But we all know that's a sin, so how do we avoid that when introducing ourselves yet make a memorable first impression? The key is to show interest without making any reference to physical touch or, worse, sexual innuendos. Even non-Christians know you're not supposed to be creepy!

Here are some reasons for non-sexual flirting:

--It allows you to introduce yourself in a fun, creative way
--It builds rapport between two people
--It allows you to gage what the other person might be like on a first date
--If anything, it's a fun way to brighten someone else's day

The biggest mistake men make when introducing themselves

Most Christian men view being flirtatious with women as somehow dirty and reserved only for characters in R-rated movies. They'll approach a woman as if in a job interview, all tense and well-rehearsed. Sorry guys, women don't like that-- If you're tense and rigid in your approach, they will be nervous and tense, which may even scare them a little. There are ways to be flirtatious without alluding to sex or being overtly creepy.

I challenge you to watch the movie Mary Poppins, especially the scene where the kids wander off to the merry-go-round and leave Mary and Bert alone to have tea together. The entire time, they flirt with each other, which has become a lost art. Bert is dancing and trying to impress Mary with his antics, while she feins annoyance and finally joins in with him. By the end of the scene, when they reunite with the kids on the merry-go-round, they have formed an even greater bond of friendship than when they started.

Examples of two Christian guys meeting the same woman, Susan

John: He sees Susan sitting alone in the sanctuary before the Sunday service and awkwardly approaches her from behind. He startles her by tapping her shoulder, sticking out his right hand abruptly, and says, "Hi, I'm John. You probably never noticed me, but I'm the guy who's been sitting behind you in church for the past six months. I definitely have an interest in you, and I was wondering if you wanted to go out sometime."

Susan, not knowing what to say, nods her head nervously and finally blurts out, "Yeah, maybe sometime." Of course, poor Susan does her best to avoid the next encounter with John so she doesn't have to go through that again.

David: Sees Susan sitting alone in the sanctuary. As he sits two seats down from her (not right next to her), he asks, "Is this seat taken?" She says it isn't, and she can't help but notice his boldness and determination to sit there. So, her interest is piqued.

David turns to her and says in a serious tone, "Have you seen a blue horse anywhere around the church property lately?" She answers, "No, is there a blue horse around here somewhere?" David says, "No, I was just wondering if you've seen any lately." By this time, he's looking directly at her and grinning from ear to ear.

Susan can't help but giggle a little. David knows he has an opening now, so he introduces himself, and she reciprocates. David is a true gentleman, so during the service, he gives Susan her space to worship and politely says it was nice to meet her after the service is over. He doesn't ask her out, he doesn't show a sense of desperation, and he doesn't follow her.

The next Sunday, David sees Susan sitting alone again in the same spot. This time, he approaches her a bit more boldly and asks, "Have you seen any blue horses around here lately?" Giggling, she says she hasn't, but he's welcome to take his "usual spot next to her." (The running joke about the stupid horse thing gives them a unique sense of bonding now).

After the service, David says, "Come and join me in the cafeteria for coffee and donuts. I'm buying." Susan giggles again as she follows David. She knows very well the church never charges for their donuts and coffee. :)

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
Some people understand the word in a different way. Flirting means different things to different people. For some people it is understood in the context of dating alone.

What YOU call flirting, my dad would call just being open and friendly with people. He is always putting on a funny voice, telling silly jokes, with no intention of starting a relationship with anyone, just because it's fun for him and potentially fun for those around him.

Mind you, I'm not saying you are wrong. I'm just saying you use words in a different way than some people use them. What you are saying is right, but it doesn't apply to flirting the way some people use the word flirting.

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
We often think of flirting as merely a way for a guy to get to home-plate with a woman for the first time. But we all know that's a sin, so how do we avoid that when introducing ourselves yet make a memorable first impression?
Can you provide scripture to substantiate your claim that this is a sin? Yeah, if the goal is the home plate that would probably be sinful but not if the goal is first base.

Most Christian men view being flirtatious with women as somehow dirty and reserved only for characters in R-rated movies.
How was this conclusion derived at?
My position that it would be totaly inappropriate for a married person to flirt with a person of the opposite sex that is also married or even single. If both parties are single than I don't see any harm in this unless the other one objects.

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
how much giggle is to much I wonder?
Surely a well-placed chuckle interspersed with a knowing "Ha!" would add something
of substance to the inarticulate responses and lessen the vacuity of giggles alone?
.:unsure:

Cameron143

Mar 1, 2022
I have a friend named Ha. If you say his name real fast 3 times you are guaranteed to laugh.

May 13, 2024
Surely a well-placed chuckle interspersed with a knowing "Ha!" would add something
of substance to the inarticulate responses and lessen the vacuity of giggles alone?
.:unsure:
surely you jest :) who wants substance? lol

CeceShay

Apr 22, 2024
Have you ever sat in a restaurant and noticed a little kid staring at you from their mom and dad's table in the distance? Sometimes, they'll smile at you or play peek-a-boo by hiding their face and suddenly look back to see if you notice them. Simply put, they're flirting with you. They're not being rude, intrusive, or even naughty. They are showing that they are curious about you, and if given the chance, they would be glad to add you to their "play-date" list.

What is flirting, exactly?

It's really just a way for men and women to be playful, imaginative, and fun in a nonthreatening way. It's a way to get to know someone to whom you've never been introduced, and most importantly, it opens the door for a first date.

Sexual and non-sexual flirting

We often think of flirting as merely a way for a guy to get to home-plate with a woman for the first time. But we all know that's a sin, so how do we avoid that when introducing ourselves yet make a memorable first impression? The key is to show interest without making any reference to physical touch or, worse, sexual innuendos. Even non-Christians know you're not supposed to be creepy!

Here are some reasons for non-sexual flirting:

--It allows you to introduce yourself in a fun, creative way
--It builds rapport between two people
--It allows you to gage what the other person might be like on a first date
--If anything, it's a fun way to brighten someone else's day

The biggest mistake men make when introducing themselves

Most Christian men view being flirtatious with women as somehow dirty and reserved only for characters in R-rated movies. They'll approach a woman as if in a job interview, all tense and well-rehearsed. Sorry guys, women don't like that-- If you're tense and rigid in your approach, they will be nervous and tense, which may even scare them a little. There are ways to be flirtatious without alluding to sex or being overtly creepy.

I challenge you to watch the movie Mary Poppins, especially the scene where the kids wander off to the merry-go-round and leave Mary and Bert alone to have tea together. The entire time, they flirt with each other, which has become a lost art. Bert is dancing and trying to impress Mary with his antics, while she feins annoyance and finally joins in with him. By the end of the scene, when they reunite with the kids on the merry-go-round, they have formed an even greater bond of friendship than when they started.

Examples of two Christian guys meeting the same woman, Susan

John: He sees Susan sitting alone in the sanctuary before the Sunday service and awkwardly approaches her from behind. He startles her by tapping her shoulder, sticking out his right hand abruptly, and says, "Hi, I'm John. You probably never noticed me, but I'm the guy who's been sitting behind you in church for the past six months. I definitely have an interest in you, and I was wondering if you wanted to go out sometime."

Susan, not knowing what to say, nods her head nervously and finally blurts out, "Yeah, maybe sometime." Of course, poor Susan does her best to avoid the next encounter with John so she doesn't have to go through that again.

David: Sees Susan sitting alone in the sanctuary. As he sits two seats down from her (not right next to her), he asks, "Is this seat taken?" She says it isn't, and she can't help but notice his boldness and determination to sit there. So, her interest is piqued.

David turns to her and says in a serious tone, "Have you seen a blue horse anywhere around the church property lately?" She answers, "No, is there a blue horse around here somewhere?" David says, "No, I was just wondering if you've seen any lately." By this time, he's looking directly at her and grinning from ear to ear.

Susan can't help but giggle a little. David knows he has an opening now, so he introduces himself, and she reciprocates. David is a true gentleman, so during the service, he gives Susan her space to worship and politely says it was nice to meet her after the service is over. He doesn't ask her out, he doesn't show a sense of desperation, and he doesn't follow her.

The next Sunday, David sees Susan sitting alone again in the same spot. This time, he approaches her a bit more boldly and asks, "Have you seen any blue horses around here lately?" Giggling, she says she hasn't, but he's welcome to take his "usual spot next to her." (The running joke about the stupid horse thing gives them a unique sense of bonding now).

After the service, David says, "Come and join me in the cafeteria for coffee and donuts. I'm buying." Susan giggles again as she follows David. She knows very well the church never charges for their donuts and coffee. :)
David sure has rizz... Loovee it!!

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
Susan giggles too much .:unsure::ROFL:
That was my first impression also. Perhaps Sarah would keep her own giggling to a bare minimum. I don't get Dave's cone-on line either about the blue horse. Would've been funnier if he asked "Have you seen Mr. Ed around. He's a horse, of course."

SomeDisciple

Jul 4, 2021
Actually either John or David's approach are valid depending on context. John is only creepy if we assume that Susan, in fact, has not already noticed John; and John is some low self esteem stalker type to begin with- in which case, he could say the exact same words and do the exact same things as David, and it would still be creepy.

David's indirect approach depends on....
1) the seats by her actually being available.
2) Susan being easily impressed. ("she can't help but notice his boldness in determination to sit there".... seriously?:ROFL:)
3) Her being entertained by his stupid horse icebreaker.

But if the seats next to her are actually taken, and she's not really open to a guy acting like a fool to get her attention; because she's praying or something- John's direct approach is actually waaay better: because it's just a quick interjection that basically amounts to "hey, wanna talk later?".

It also works in a scenario where Susan already has a passive interest in him; but for whatever reason does not want to approach him.

"You probably never noticed me, but I'm the guy who's been sitting behind you in church for the past six months."

Low self esteem version: "I probably don't have qualities worthy of your attention; but I'm desperate"
High self esteem version: " I'm pretty sure you have noticed me, but I don't want to sound conceited, and maybe I'm imagining things, so I'm investigating"