God and Time

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

PaulThomson

Oct 29, 2023
PaulThomson said:
If God is not constrained by time, can God change the past? Has God ever changed the past?

Well, glad you asked. Yes He can, and yes He did. Lazarus was DEAD, GONE, KAPUT, STINKING ROTTEN!

And with just a few words Jesus raised him from the dead! Past changed!!!

Now, go play somewhere else please.......
He changed the present. Did people stop saying Lazarus had been dead?

PaulThomson

Oct 29, 2023
The Scriptures state that God is the Creator of all, so that must include time. God can not be bound by His own Creation. He Dwells in Eternity and eventually all believers will dwell in Eternity with Him.
So, God created love? God created immortality?

SomeDisciple

Jul 4, 2021
So, your claim that God is not constrained by time is merely speculative. God could be constrained by time in the same way that He is constrained by love and truth.
Love and truth are self-imposed constraints- those are personality characteristics that he chose for himself. Time isn't a characteristic of his; it is his creation. He is only bound by himself at his own discretion; this is omnipotence.

maxwel

Apr 18, 2013
Love and truth are self-imposed constraints- those are personality characteristics that he chose for himself. Time isn't a characteristic of his; it is his creation. He is only bound by himself at his own discretion; this is omnipotence.
Time is so difficult to talk about, and so infinitely complicated, that as we discuss it, there's a tendency to accidentally posit all kinds of propositions that we probably shouldn't.

I don't think we want to suggest that divine attributes, such as LOVE and TRUTH, are characteristics God CHOSE for himself.
1.)
The traditional & biblical understanding has always been that God's divine attributes are, and have always been, an immutable and indivisible part of his divine nature.
2.) To suggest God CHOSE his attributes, is to suggest there was a time prior, when he did NOT HAVE THEM. And if God ever existed without the attributes of God, he would not have been God.
3.) God has always been God, immutable and changeless, with all of his divine attributes that make up his "God-ness."

I think the intentions here were good, but we don't want to defeat an argument by accidentally creating an even worse argument.

God Bless.

PaulThomson

Oct 29, 2023
How do you determine that the biblical claim that God is from everlasting to everlasting" is not a personal characteristic of God, but love and truth are personal characteristics of God?

PaulThomson

Oct 29, 2023
Time is so difficult to talk about, and so infinitely complicated, that as we discuss it, there's a tendency to accidentally posit all kinds of propositions that we probably shouldn't.

I don't think we want to suggest that divine attributes, such as LOVE and TRUTH, are characteristics God CHOSE for himself.
1.)
The traditional & biblical understanding has always been that God's divine attributes are, and have always been, an immutable and indivisible part of his divine nature.
2.) To suggest God CHOSE his attributes, is to suggest there was a time prior, when he did NOT HAVE THEM. And if God ever existed without the attributes of God, he would not have been God.
3.) God has always been God, immutable and changeless, with all of his divine attributes that make up his "God-ness."

I think the intentions here were good, but we don't want to defeat an argument by accidentally creating an even worse argument.

God Bless.

There is no single traditional and biblicak understanding that has always been anything. Immutability and changelessness in God are not biblical and are one tradition among many others that see things differently.

The appeal to mystery to plug holes in a bad theory never looks good.

Chaps

Apr 3, 2024
California
I want to address this comment you made: "If time is part of God’s essence, he is not “subject” to it because it is part of who He is.".

I think you have the wrong concept of what "essence" is. Essence, has to do with the intrinsic nature of a thing or said another way, the quality that makes a thing what it is. No matter the subject under discussion, "time" would not be a quality of a thing nor would it be it's intrinsic nature but its realm of existence.

When talking about the essence of God, we see the Bible says He is Holy, Omnipresent, Omniscient, Immutable, Spirit and so on. Time is not part of God's makeup. Time is a construct for mankind and God uses it but it has no meaning truly to Him. As Peter wrote: But, beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day. When you are an eternal being, a thousand years is no different than a day. One is not longer than the other or vice versa.

You think because God is in an eternal state - the ever present now - He cannot operate within time. You use the term "frozen", which is wholly inappropriate. God is not frozen in eternity. The concept behind "the ever present now", simply means there is no past and there can be no future. If there were a past, then God had a beginning and if He has a future, then there are things He does not know. Yet Scripture says, He knows the end from the beginning. This proves that God resides within an eternal state. Everything that was, is and will be, are in the mind of God all at once. For temporal creatures such as ourselves, this makes no sense to us.

[Oh by the way, "Foreknowledge" does not mean to know the future, It means to have knowledge beforehand and is not limited to time.].

God's Decrees, are like a long single file cabinet. If He were temporal, then it would take time to move from the first decree to the second and so on. However, God's Decrees move from one to the other without time passage. There is order with God but not time. Again, for us, this makes very little sense because that is impossible for us.

Therefore, a decree of God's can come from eternity, in it's proper order and exist within time if time is necessary to carry out that decree. However, time cannot invade eternity or exist within it.

As temporal beings, it is very hard to keep ones mind on the eternal. We have a tendency to slip out of that gear and fall back into temporal thinking.

Those that say this eternal existence, as I am discussing it, causes problems, only say that because they personally don't like the implications that it enlightens.
Thanks for your reply. I disagree with pretty much everything you wrote. Allow me to explain…

First, when we speak of essence, we. are talking about God’s being or ontology. Essence is defined as “the permanent as contrasted with accidental element of being.” Thus, if part of who God is by his very nature is one who, as a personal being, has a past, present and a future. I would argue that this is the most natural way to understand the biblical texts. In fact, describing God as “eternal” suggests an endless duration through time. Passages that speak of God having no beginning or end indicate a persisting through time rather than transcending it. God is described as being one who “lives forever” and “our God forever and ever.” He is pictured as one who has been “enthroned from of old; you are everlasting.” “Even they will perish, but you endure…But you are the same, your years will not come to an end.“ All these texts indicate an unending duration and a past that spans throughout time, not independent of it. So yes, as the texts describe God, his everlasting nature is a fundamental part of his being. In fact, I would argue that those who argue that God stands apart from time are also staking a claim on his essence. I just dont think the Bible supports it.

If anything, I think the verse you quoted supports my claim more than yours. The author does not say that time does not apply to God. Rather, the statement is that time applies differently to God which supports a metatemporal view rather than an atemporal one. Since God is eternal, his experience of time is far different than moral beings…especially if God’s time is different from our own.

I never said that God cannot operate in time if atemporality is true. I said that time does not apply to Him. So, even though he may interact in our time, for him, if time does not exist, there is no before or after. He never thinks a new thought or performs a new act. All of these things demand a before and after. In order for God to “create” anything, there has to be a TIME when something did not exist and a TIME when it existed afterwards. Yet, if God does not exist in time, all things are present. So, while he may interact in our ”time” for him, all things are immediately present. So while for us, God’s acts may be sequential, for him, they are not. Moreover, a timeless being, imo cannot represent the God we see in the Bible who is a personal, caring, involved God who “remembers, deliberates, anticipates, decides, intends, is grieved, becomes angry, and rejoices” (Hasker, 150).
This is incompatible with a God for whom all events are simultaneously present and never experiences a new moment or thought.

I dont understand your point about foreknowledge. It seems you are undermining the point you are trying to make. To have knowledge “beforehand” indicates TIME. Before means prior to the event itself. Thus, to know something before it happens is to have knowledge of things before they happen. Now certainly this could apply to both an atemporal or temporal God if we are speaking of Gods knowledge of things from our perspective. Certainly God has foreknowledge in either case, but if God himself possesses foreknowledge from his perspective, it would imply he exists in time. I just brought up foreknowledge because of the notion that a temporal or metatemporal God necessitates he does not know the future. I dont think we have to conclude God does not exist in time to possess knowledge of things prior to their occurrence .

Im not arguing that an atemporal God is “impossible.” Certainly it is a valid theory and I can imagine a God that exists outside of time. However, I cannot imagine that God being the Christian God. I cannot reconcile God’s engagement in the world as a personal, engaged and interactive Creator who becomes man as being a God who exists in an eternal present and is not genuinely shocked, saddened, angered, or blessed by our temporal actions.

Chaps

Apr 3, 2024
California
The Scriptures state that God is the Creator of all, so that must include time. God can not be bound by His own Creation. He Dwells in Eternity and eventually all believers will dwell in Eternity with Him.
What if God’s nature includes time? And if God currently dwells in a timeless eternity with no past, present or future, doesn’t that contradict the picture we see in Revelation with the tree of life yielding fruit each month? Eternity, imo, implies an endless span of time, not a timeless state.

maxwel

Apr 18, 2013
There is no single traditional and biblicak understanding that has always been anything. Immutability and changelessness in God are not biblical and are one tradition among many others that see things differently.

The appeal to mystery to plug holes in a bad theory never looks good.
"Immutability and changelessness in God are not biblical"

According to all orthodox Christian traditions with which I'm aware...
that statement constitutes actual heresy.

It's also very easy to disprove from scripture.

Chaps

Apr 3, 2024
California
@Chaps

I like your recent posts better because they’re more nuanced and explain other thoughts.
However before I respond, I’d like to remind you again that since we don’t know what Time means at a fundamental level, a lot of what you’ve said, or what I’ve said or the people before us have said, remain a mystery or best guess which is why these philosophical debates are always fun because they have no answer :)

What is your evidence or reason to think that God operates with the same rules of Time as we perceive it so you can keep your other two topics into play? Temporalism and metatemporalism.

Because a lot of what you’ve said, tries to describe the kind of God from a human point of view.
How can you claim to know the mind of God or how He perceives things including Time?

Again, we don’t know what Time is to make more accurate guesses about what God might think about Time or how He sees it.

Why would it be too simplistic to say that
“ God created this only universe we know of and live in so this is our only evidence to say a few things about our existence including our currently unknown understanding of Time”

Where is your evidence of the “outside” so we can even talk about other ideas that you posted?
Thanks for your reply, Eli.

Maybe the best way to ponder this is by process of elimination. I agree that our understanding of eternity and timelessness moves far outside human comprehension. And, as you mentioned, time itself is a bit of a mystery. However, since God has chosen to reveal himself to us in time and through human language, I think that is a safe place to start. God, himself, reveals who he in a human language and from a human point of view. So, I believe that communication is as close to what we can get to understanding these concepts…and that communication is quite reliable.

First, I would claim to be a metatemporalist. Thus I dont think God operates with the same rules of time as we perceive it. I admit that while God’s experience of time is likely far different than our own, I do think it implies a past, present and future. The reason I say this is not merely a philosophical reflection but based on Scriptural revelation. So, when Scripture says that God gets angry, has remorse, or changes his mind, we have to consider what these passages mean. If God exists outside of time and all things are a continual present to him (thus experiencing no new emotions or thoughts) then we would have to conclude that these passages do not really mean what they imply. So, while I do not know what God’s time is truly like and dont pretend to understand it, I do think Scripture indicates it does imply a past, present and future of some sort. That God really is interacting both in our time and His own. That He really is experiencing emotion and thoughts based on his interactions with us. Why would God grieve an event in our timeline if that moment has always been an enduring present to him? What does it mean when we read in Exodus that God changed his mind? Is God really moved to action by our prayers and allowed himself to be compelled by our petitions, or have all events been in constant stasis before him as one who stands fully outside past, present and future?

So, in my mind, this isn’t really about fully understanding how God’s time works or what time is. Rather, it has more to do with whether or not God experiences a past, present, future and whether or not he makes new decisions or thinks a new thought. Atemporalists would argue that the idea of God having new thoughits or acting in new ways would infringe upon his immutability. But I do not think this is a valid argument. God‘s character does not change, but that does not mean he does not create new things, have new thoughts or respond to actions from his free-will creatures.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
Historical truth in regards to creation requires faith but a bit of evidence along the way supports scriptures which is why I like to include extra curricular activities along with the Bible.
Because they support the Bible for a stronger argument.
According to our observations of the universe, it looks like everything had a beginning at around 14 billion years ago.
This aligns with the Bible which says that :

“In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.”
But it completely disagrees with the Bible on the 14 billion years.

PaulThomson

Oct 29, 2023
Read your Bible; He did not create Love for He is Love. He did not create immortality for He is and was always immortal (Eternal).
And He did not create time if He is temporal (or metatemporal, as Chaps suggests).

Mar 9, 2023
Perth, Western Australia
What if God’s nature includes time? And if God currently dwells in a timeless eternity with no past, present or future, doesn’t that contradict the picture we see in Revelation with the tree of life yielding fruit each month? Eternity, imo, implies an endless span of time, not a timeless state.
In our current 3 dimension state we cannot expect to understand Eternity. As for the Tree of Life. John was reporting on visions He had seen in which a lot of figurative language is used for instance Rev. 21: 22 refers to Jesus as both a Lamb and a Temple but we know that he is not literally either of them. The Tree of Life is obviously a figurative reference to Jesus who will supply all our needs for there will not be a literal need to pick fruit for healing as Rev. 21:4 shows there will be no more death or suffering. He Jesus is the Tree of Life.

Eli1

Apr 5, 2022
Thanks for your reply, Eli.

Maybe the best way to ponder this is by process of elimination. I agree that our understanding of eternity and timelessness moves far outside human comprehension. And, as you mentioned, time itself is a bit of a mystery. However, since God has chosen to reveal himself to us in time and through human language, I think that is a safe place to start. God, himself, reveals who he in a human language and from a human point of view. So, I believe that communication is as close to what we can get to understanding these concepts…and that communication is quite reliable.

First, I would claim to be a metatemporalist. Thus I dont think God operates with the same rules of time as we perceive it. I admit that while God’s experience of time is likely far different than our own, I do think it implies a past, present and future. The reason I say this is not merely a philosophical reflection but based on Scriptural revelation. So, when Scripture says that God gets angry, has remorse, or changes his mind, we have to consider what these passages mean. If God exists outside of time and all things are a continual present to him (thus experiencing no new emotions or thoughts) then we would have to conclude that these passages do not really mean what they imply. So, while I do not know what God’s time is truly like and dont pretend to understand it, I do think Scripture indicates it does imply a past, present and future of some sort. That God really is interacting both in our time and His own. That He really is experiencing emotion and thoughts based on his interactions with us. Why would God grieve an event in our timeline if that moment has always been an enduring present to him? What does it mean when we read in Exodus that God changed his mind? Is God really moved to action by our prayers and allowed himself to be compelled by our petitions, or have all events been in constant stasis before him as one who stands fully outside past, present and future?

So, in my mind, this isn’t really about fully understanding how God’s time works or what time is. Rather, it has more to do with whether or not God experiences a past, present, future and whether or not he makes new decisions or thinks a new thought. Atemporalists would argue that the idea of God having new thoughits or acting in new ways would infringe upon his immutability. But I do not think this is a valid argument. God‘s character does not change, but that does not mean he does not create new things, have new thoughts or respond to actions from his free-will creatures.
Chaps I think we’re getting a bit closer to understanding each-other :)
Let’s consider some of the things you’ve said.

I work with computers by the way, for over 25 years.
Have you thought about how a game designer designs the game, allows for certain random elements in the game (let’s call that limited free will) while knowing the game completely how it ends while still enjoying the journey through the game even when you hit pause or fast forward in the game?
All of these words and concepts make sense to you and me from this point of view in relation to the game because we would be the creators in this case but how can we who are created here inside this universe use language to understand technical aspects of the Creator?

Which brings us to the Bible and language itself, something which I’ve mentioned here before.
The Bible should not be understood as an engineering book but a relationship book to our Creator, and even though you’re not using it as an engineering book, you kinda are, because you’re asking technical questions about Time without any of us knowing or understanding what Time really is.
So this is the problem. This is similar to many folks who think that the whole universe is 6000 years old, because they count generations from the Bible while direct observation with our eyes say that the universe is around 14 billion years old.
So I think it’s important to know the line or the border of the technical aspects of existence when reading the Bible as opposed to the faith and hope that we get from the Bible when we don’t understand these mysteries.
Because language itself is not enough to describe the Creator.

The only thing we know about God which relates to us personally in this existence is Jesus Christ who is the best thing that ever happened to humanity.
We see the Creator joining His creation and having an experience like us with joy and pain and all the range of emotions we experience.
He even wept before He raised Lazarus.
However despite all of that, we still don’t know how He perceives Time so you can even ask the questions that you’ve asked in a correct manner because we don’t even understand how Time works to ask the question properly.

Eli1

Apr 5, 2022
But it completely disagrees with the Bible on the 14 billion years.
Yes of course, than it becomes a YEC vs non-YEC discussion which never gets talked about in Christian circles :)

PaulThomson

Oct 29, 2023
"Immutability and changelessness in God are not biblical"

According to all orthodox Christian traditions with which I'm aware...
that statement constitutes actual heresy.

It's also very easy to disprove from scripture.

Only if you take verses out of context and turn them into absolute metaphysical claims.

PaulThomson

Oct 29, 2023
Do you have a Bible verse for that assertion, by chance?
Ps. 90:2 BEFORE the mountains were brought forth, or ever you had formed the earth and the world, even FROM EVERLASTING TO EVERLASTING, YOU ARE GOD.

Psalm 106:48 Blessed be the LORD God of Israel FROM EVERLASTING TO EVERLASTING: and let all the people say, "Amen. Praise you the LORD.

Mic. 5:2 ... yet out of you [Bethehem Ephratah] shall He come forth to Me that is to be ruler in Israel; WHOSE GOINGS FORTH HAVE BEEN FROM OF OLD, FROM EVERLASTING.